Friday, June 18, 2010

Broadway Favorites: Aida "Easy As Life"

Broadway Musical: Aida
Song: "Easy As Life"
Singer: Heather Headley




Now out of every Broadway show I have seen, AIDA is definitely my favorite. There is such a beautiful love story told in a time of war and turmoil. I have seen the show probably six times or so and still cry every time. The first time I went to see it Heather Headley returned to play the lead, as she was the original AIDA. After seeing her I was done, she was made to play that role. Since then I have seen both Deborah Cox and Michelle Williams in the part and neither quite measure up to Heather. Anyone who knows me, knows I love me a Deborah Cox but her voice was not powerful enough for the role.

The song from AIDA that has a great deal of meaning to me would be "Easy As Life" performed by Heather Headley herself. There is a point where Aida has to make a choice between the man she has fallen in love with or the people she has a responsibility to. She decides to forfeit love in order to save her people and to do that she has to convince herself that the love wasn't meant to be and that she is better off without him. The lyrics are absolutely amazing..I hope you enjoy!
"Aida, Amneris, and Radames are entangled in conflicted loyalties and emotions ("A Step Too Far"), that Aida might be a traitor to her people as she loves Radames, that his love for her could end his life as he knows it, and that he does not show the attention that Amneris deserves. Aida and Mereb bribe their way into Amonasro's prison cell, where she is reunited with her father. Mereb hatches a plan to escape with the king during the commotion of Amneris' wedding. To save her father and her nation, Aida must betray the man she loves ("Easy as Life")."

No comments:

Post a Comment